Old Mission San Juan Capistrano
Open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
949-234-1300

San Juan Capistrano is home to the “Jewel of the Missions” located in the center of Southern California along the Gold Coast. Junipero Serra founded Mission San Juan Capistrano in 1776. It is the seventh of 21 Spanish Missions established in California by Franciscan Padres. Spain controlled California until 1821 when Mexico won its independence. In 1845, Mission San Juan Capistrano was sold to Don Juan Forster for $710. President Abraham Lincoln returned Mission San Juan Capistrano to the Catholic Church in 1865.

The Capistrano Depot – (1894)
Historic railroad station
(Sarducci's Capistrano Depot 949-493-9593)

This railroad station, topped with red brick, is now a popular restaurant which was built in 1894 by the Santa Fe Railroad and is the oldest Mission Revival style rail station in Southern California. At the time of it's completion it was called "the finest depot on the Santa Fe system."

Los Rios Historic District

The Los Rios District includes 31 historic structures. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in California, on the oldest street in California, and includes three adobe homes built in 1794 as housing for families with ties to the Mission. Cottage shops, several restaurants, the old jail and galleries line Los Rios Street intermingled with private residences as well as the beautiful botanical gardens of Ito Nursery.

Montanez Adobe – (1794)

Oldest home in California in Los Rios Historic District 949-240-3119 This adobe was the home of Polonia Montanez who was in charge of religious instruction of the village children from 1886-1910. Polonia once led the children on a spiritual trek as they journeyed in prayer and song to break a long drought. On the third day, while praying on Capistrano Beach, the rain began to pour down and three wagons were sent for Polonia and the children.


O’Neill Museum - Pryor House
Open Tuesday – Friday, 9 A.M. to 4 P.M
Sunday 12 – 3 P.M.
949-493-8444

The O'Neill Museum built by Saloonkeeper Dolores Garcia in the 1870's. This Victorian beauty is now home to the San Juan Capistrano Historical Society and O'Neill Museum.



Zoomars Petting Zoo
(Traditional barnyard circa 1895 )

One of the more popular destinations for families, where children can ride ponies, ride on a mini-train and enjoy petting and feeding the animals. This completely restored three acre mini-farm is typical of life in Old Capistrano near the turn of the century.



Egan House – (1883)

This terra cotta brick building was built in 1883 by Judge Richard Egan, a local farmer turned judge who became known as the "King of Capistrano". It was here that Judge Egan entertained his friends including many influential and famous people of the day including actress Helena Modjeska.

 



Historic Town Center Park

Located in the heart of the town, this park is home to many popular city events including San Juan Summer Nites and the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony.





Blas Aguilar Adobe – (1794)
Native American Museum
Sat & Sun 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
949-493-4933

Dating back to 1794, Blas Aquilar Adobe is associated with Don Blas Aquilar, the last Alcalde governor of the Mexican/Rancho era. The adobe was once the focal point for area political and governmental activities and now houses a collection of artifacts from a nearby Native American excavation site and burial ground.

Camino Real Playhouse

This playhouse is located next to the historic Town Center Park. It shows many plays throughout the year including a Shakespeare series in the summer.




San Juan Capistrano Regional Library
949-493-1752

Designed by renowned architect Michael Graves, this intriguing structure has received numerous awards by architectural societies from around the world. It is located near the Basilica Church on Acjachema Street.





Mission Basilica Church

This magnificent church is a larger copy of the Great Stone Church. The church bell tower, whose bells can be heard throughout the town, makes it the tallest building in Old Capistrano. The interior features decorative painting using motifs and colors found in the original stone church. The alter, shipped from Rome, was constructed within the Church in mid 2007.

San Juan Chamber of Commerce